Saturday, October 2, 2010

October 2...Beloved Stanley (Day 4)

(Kim's Perspective)
I'm ten days behind on the blog, so in the interest of time, I'm going to just quickly summarize the next few days and try my hardest to not be super verbose. --Rolling eyes--

So...Stanley Rocks. That's a given. The weather is crazy,


but the whole area is awesome and it continued to entertain us on our hike by Redfish Lake.

We took the Boys. They had already gotten a little workout in running alongside Bill on the mountain bike. Since the entire lake loop is 17.5 miles, we decided to pay the $22 bucks (for us and the Boys) to be boat shuttled over to the far side of the lake and then hike back.



The Boys didn't like riding in the back of the boat much. The fumes were freaking Merlin out. I was a little annoyed that we were the first to arrange for the "on demand" boat shuttle, yet they squeezed so many folks into that particular trip there weren't enough seats left for us once everyone was aboard. Squatting on the floor by the motor should NOT cost you full price. This is just my opinion; I said nothing about it.


We were happy that it was post-Labor Day and the Boys could legally be off-leash.



Little did we know that Twister always needs to be kept on leash...

About 10 minutes into the hike, Twist was leading the pack and came upon an on-coming hiker. As the guy walked by, he reached out to Twist (who admittedly, edged over to give him a sniff before passing by) and out of the blue, Twist turned his head back and nipped at the guy's leg. I saw it happen and was mortified. The guy kinda freaked. He yelled "Owww! That dog bit me!" I hollered at Twist to come back - since he kept on huffing along the trail like nothing ever happened - and then stopped to ask the guy if he was okay. Bill and I apologized profusely and told him that in nearly 10 years, he has never bitten anyone. Well, there was that one time with Dr. Mullinix, but come on, she's a vet... :) And for the record, he didn't actually draw blood when he nipped her on the head. So anyway, I asked the guy "did he actually bite you?" and he replied "yeah". I then asked if he drew blood and the guy again replied "yeah" as he hiked up his shorts to show me his leg...completely bite free. In fact, it wasn't even scratched. Raven would have caused more damage. Whatever dude. Okay, so Twist was a bad dog, and his behavioyr is unacceptable, but c'mon...he didn't ACTUALLY bite you...he bit your pant leg. I'm no dog psychologist, but I think the guy either A) scared Twist when he reached out as Twist was trotting by or B) the guy was a serial killer. Not sure, but dogs seem to have this sense about them and when they growl or bark or generally shy away from a stranger, well, I trust their judgment. So, there you have it...we encountered a serial killer while hiking the Redfish Lake trail in the Sawtooth Wilderness. :) Serial killers or not, I still love this place.

The hike was nice...








saw some weird stargate in the water... ???




We took a side trip to see Bench Lakes. WOW. These photos are not doctored - the place is just that gorgeous.







Oh, and someone was filming the landscape for Outdoor Idaho. We might make the cut. It airs on October 21. I'll let you know. :)

The rest of the hike was largely uneventful.

We had dinner here

and had a good meal (despite the fact that it was prime rib night and our "medium rare" order came out well done. A small complaint led to replacement food (ribs for Bill and a sirloin for me - that was the last of the prime rib) and all was well. It was really good food - Fruit of the Forest pie for dessert topped off the evening nicely. Yumilicious. :)

No comments: