I woke up very early today. 4:15 am to be exact. I woke up with a familiar pain in my back and abdomen. Uh-oh. I reached over and grabbed my water bottle and proceeded to slam 16 oz. of water. I was hoping it would help. It did not.
An hour later, I was wondering how long it would be before I finally broke down and woke Bill to take me to the hospital. Luckily, he woke on his own. I told him I wasn't feeling well and that we would likely have to go to the ER. I made a last ditch effort to drink another 32 oz. of water in hopes that I'd hydrate myself well enough that my suspected kidney stones would pass without further aggravation. FAIL. So, off we went to Allen Memorial Hospital in Moab.
We arrived around 7am and since I was the only patient there, I was quickly seen by a very attentive ER nurse by the name of Tim. Nice guy. We went through the normal routine - no, I'm not pregnant, yes, I've had kidney stones before, blah, blah, blah.
After the Q&A routine and the mandatory pee test, I was given fluids and was anxiously awaiting the pain killers. After authorization from the ER doctor on call, Tim injected me with the beloved drug. After 10 minutes or so, blessed relief. Ahhhh....that's nice.

The ER doc came in, chatted awhile, and waited for the drugs to take their full effect. He noticed my hacking and wheezing and gave me the ear, nose, throat, lungs check while he was at it. Results: bronchitis. Humpf. I suppose there's a reason the Nyquil/Mucinex treatment wasn't working and I've been sick for the last 2 weeks.
He hooked me up with an injection of antibiotics, wrote a script for more and gave me some Percocet for the kidney stones. He also informed me that I have a mild UTI. Awesome.
Seems all the bouncing around from the mountain biking and the dirt bike riding likely broke up the stone(s) in my kidneys. Or so they said. I think this place is trying to kill me.
I was instructed to take it easy for the day - "no mountain biking". Fine. What about hiking? "A little walking would be okay". Hmmmm...so, sleeping and watching SG1 it is.
So, that was our day. We got back to the trailer around 10am and then took a four hour nap. I finally got out of bed around 2:30 and made it to the sofa where, aside from my frequent trips to the bathroom to pee in my little funnel filter, I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening.
It wasn't so bad - the pain never got above an 8 and I didn't puke from it this time so it was bearable. And, I did finally get up early enough to see that beautiful desert sunrise. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment