Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 14...Moab (Day 8)

(Kim's Perspective)
I took Nyquil last night so I slept till 10 am this morning. D’oh! After a nutritious and energy packed meal of oatmeal (can you hear the sarcasm?) we headed to the Klondike Bluffs Trail for some riding.




More hacking coughing wheezing. I ended up walking quite a few of the sections. Shocker.

We saw the supposed dinosaur tracks.



If they really are dinosaur tracks, then that's really tight. If they're just depressions in the slickrock that happen to LOOK like a giant pterodactyl foot, well then, it's not really all that cool.

The ride down was better than the climb up (duh) but I bit it on a section of rock that joins another creating a V that my front tire got sucked into. Thankfully, I was able to catch myself before I bashed my arms/legs/head on the slickrock. Fun.

I didn’t really like the trail all that much, so after the 10 miles of Klondike, we drove over to the MOAB Brand Trails to try the Bar B. Also, a hard trail.




What is WRONG with these people? I told Bill that I kind of feel sorry for them. They probably have no idea what it’s like to run a clean section of downhill singletrack for the sheer joy of riding fast and carefree. All the riding here requires you to be at the top of your game and totally focused and concentrating on the task at hand. Bar B trail required me to walk sections as well. I wonder if there’s such a sport as mountain bike walking?

We finished the Bar B and continued on the rest of the Bar M loop back to the truck. Another 10 mile ride – so 20 for the day. Not too bad considering that I’m riding trails that are well beyond my skillset and comfort zone. I’m SO going to love riding Schaeffer when we get back home.

We went into town for dinner and picked one of the local’s favorites…




veggie burger, fries and a root beer float for me; buffalo cheeseburger, fries, and lemonade for Bill. It was SO good.

As we were driving back through town, we noticed a KTM demo truck sitting in one of the resort parking lots. Hmmmm…demo rides, huh? We stopped in and proceeded to spend the next hour chatting with Jim. This is a KTM rental guy that Bill had previously talked to on the phone. When we started chatting, Bill said we were on a summer trip and Jim immediately said "oh, I spoke to you the other day". He had his two airdales with him – Thor and Juno. Juno was still a feisty one year old female and needed to be taught to behave. I played with her while Bill chatted with Jim. She’s a bit of a biter…but is very smart and needs a firm hand. She stopped biting me after a few minutes and we became good short term friends. :)

The best thing about the evening was watching her get on Jim’s KTM 300EXC and ride with him. She sat on her haunches in front of him with her paws on top of the handle bar. It made us both laugh really hard.

We had decided to bag the dirt bike rentals cuz they were too pricey. We were upfront with him and told him it just wasn't in the budget. He offered us 100 bucks off the cost of each bike rental - we thought about it for about 8 seconds and then made plans to pick them up at 10 am tomorrow. ;P

We said good evening to the three of them and made our way back to the campground. We walked the Boys, took showers and I worked on some daily drafts for the blog. I suspect I will sleep hard tonight. If I can sleep at all – I’m very excited about riding tomorrow. ;P

No comments: