Bill got up this morning and rode the Big Chief loop three times (27 miles) while I stayed at the trailer. I updated the blog, called Angie to wish her a happy birthday, and cleaned up a bit.
I had a tuna wrap and mac n’cheese lunch ready for Bill when he got back, and after we ate, we took the Boys and went to Arches to hit some of the hikes I wanted to do. After a long time trying to find a place to park at the Devil’s Garden Trailhead, we realized that we would end up hiking this trail twice if we did one of the smaller hikes today, so we bagged it and went to do the 3 mile hike to Delicate Arch.
Since it was in the mid-seventies and the Boys were in the truck, I didn’t want to spend longer than necessary hiking. The trail was pretty cool for a short hike. There was just under 500 foot of elevation change so it was enough to keep your heart pumping as you climbed the slickrock sections. We covered the 1.5 miles in 33 minutes (photos and all), and arrived at the Arch a little after 5pm.
This part of the trail was cool...
Lots of folks were already set up with their uber expensive cameras and tripods waiting for the sunset. The arch was pretty cool up close, but we were more entertained by the ravens. They’re quite amusing and very vocal birds.
I thought this was very Edgar Allan Poe-ish. :)
We walked around a bit, and then sat for a few minutes before heading back down the trail. We took a side trip to see some petroglyphs and were back at the truck by 6pm.
A low key day for me and an exercise packed day for Bill. He really wants that new Rip 9. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment