We took multiple scenic drives today. I think I’ll entitle the next few days “On the road for recovery”. The scenery was quite nice...
We made the mistake of stopping at Fort Spokane and spent a long time reading about the atrocities that were committed there.
What they did to the Native Americans and how they kidnapped their children and forced them to work in what could realistically be called a concentration camp is appalling. They had the audacity to call it a "Boarding School". The school's prime directive was, and I quote, "Kill the Indian, save the man." "Boarding schools carried out a federal policy of coerced assimilation of Native American children." What that actually means is that they brutalized the children and forced them to become "white". They were beaten and put into solitary confinement if they were caught speaking their own language. If the children escaped, as many tried, they were hunted down like animals and dragged back only to face imprisonment and more brutal beatings. Many of them died. What our government did to the Native Americans is no different than what the Nazi's did to the Jews during the Holocaust. Genocide is genocide no matter what you call it. We were disgusted when we left.
Even now as I write about it, it makes me sick. My sister no doubt remembers my total fascination with Native American Indians during my teen years. Most teenage girls are interested in reading the latest fashion magazines - I was more interested in reading about Native American Indian heritage. Mom provided me with countless books on Native American culture and I happily decorated my room with pictures of great Indian Chiefs, a deer skin on the wall (courtesy of the buck my father bagged when I was a small child) and a large dream catcher. No, I never believed in their "religions" or the myths they believed in (such as the dream catcher), but their abilities and respect for nature and all that it encompasses gained my respect. I'm still fascinated by their culture and way of life (pre white man screwing it up), but having never read anything resulting in a positive outcome for their people, it's too depressing of an interest to much pursue.
Anyway, part of our travels took us via the scenic route and ferry to the Coulee Dam.
Just a reminder...Romans 10:9-13
The Coulee dam is an amazing marvel of engineering brilliance...
...but a disgusting example of our government's indifference and complete disdain for the Native American cultures whose land was stolen from them and their way of life completely decimated. A small, out of the way display covers what was done to the Spokane and other local Indian tribes to create the dam, but it's generally glossed over by the myriad of displays and educational material about how great a feat the dam was and how it helped create jobs and provided irrigation systems for the surrounding lands.
The story on the 10,000 people (Natives and Whites alike) that were literally flooded out of their homes and farmlands didn't get a lot of display room. The entries in the guest book were things like "amazing", "fascinating", "impressive". I left the comment "Sad what the building of this dam did to the Native American cultures". Much like when we left Fort Spokane, we left Coulee Dam feeling less than proud to be Americans.
We shook off our depressing funk and decided to pick up a few groceries as well as some pre-made deli sandwiches at a local market. We headed back to the campsite and arrived sometime after dark. That was fine because the campground was crawling with screaming children at every turn. Is it REALLY necessary to be screaming in the campground at 9:55pm? Yeah, I know quiet hours don't start till 10, but is it necessary to scream AT ALL? Shut your cake holes and quiet down you ill behaved little twerps. Are your parents deaf or do they just not care??!?! I'm getting to the point that I think the parents are the ones that need a beat-down. I'm certain I should have grown up in another era.
No comments:
Post a Comment