Monday, August 23, 2010

August 23...Liberty Lake (Day 7)

(Kim's Perspective)
With the help of the Tylenol PM, I slept till 11 o'clock today. I woke up feeling fuzzy headed and sore...hmmmm...maybe Tylenol PM is not the solution. I still didn't sleep well so perhaps it's not the best alternative to elephant sized doses of Vitamin I.

Bill made coffee and we had some animal crackers for breakfast. The breakfast of champions I'm sure. Whatever...I just needed to line my gut with something before attempting to shred it with another round of a stomach dissolving NSAID. I generally weigh in between 120-123. Not sure what the maximum "safe" dosage is for someone in that weight range, but I highly doubt it's 3,000 milligrams. Again...whatever...I don't much care. When I first had Lyme Disease, the doc was pumping me full of NSAIDs at ridiculous you-need-to-have-your-kidney-function-tested-every-12-weeks-because-of-these-drugs kind of levels, so I'm sure any damage that would have been done from those things was done long ago.

We puttered around for a few hours, Bill played Stick with the Boys, and then Jack came over to help Bill move the trailer and dump our tanks. Technically, one person can do all of this, but it's easier with another set of hands. Since my set of hands is largely useless at the moment, Jack volunteered his.

After the trailer was back in place and "livable", we chatted for awhile and then headed over to the house. We hung out, played with the girls, and took care of the rest of our laundry. Jack made dinner - and it was the most amazing thing Bill and I had ever had. Beef Wellington. Holy Cow. In fact, it tasted so good, it may have come from a holy cow. :0)

We didn't leave till after midnight (leftovers in hand - we LOVE this guy). As we drove back, all we talked about was that dinner. Bill said "I just want to hug him". That might be a little weird, but even still, the sentiment is there. ;)

Several years ago, Bill and I went to the Prime Rib in DC. We had the most incredible steak. Jack-O's beef wellington put that steak to shame. He really should start up his own restaurant. He's hands down the best cook we know. He grills, cooks, bakes the most yumilicious breads, and oh - he makes incredible desserts too - like the homemade vanilla bean ice cream we had after dinner. Even his "easy meals" are shockingly good. We had tacos for dinner the other night. Most people would just buy taco shells. Not Jack. He makes his own. I wish he and Cheryl would have met - all of Coldstream would be eating high on the hog. Imagine those feasts....my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

We miss the late night knock on the door with steaming fresh bread and honey butter or some wicked yummy chunk of charred flesh fresh from the grill. "Here. Try this." "Uh, okay - if we must."

I think one of the reasons Bill and I don't eat meat much anymore is because it sucks compared to the meat we got to eat when Jack lived next to us. Ah...the good old days. Mountain bike rides, shelling peanuts on the porch, eating Popsicles and ice cream sandwiches post ride...the smell of grilled chicken, beef, or pork wafting across the yard...yep...we miss that. Trish, you're a very lucky woman. How you're a skinny woman, we have no idea, but you're a very lucky woman. :)


(Bill's Perspective)

I did manage to get my new brakes put on my bike.



This is pretty important since we've taken to hurling ourselves down mountains for fun. Since our bikes are antiquated and the braking technology is barely up to the tasks we've been asking of it, the least I can do is make sure what braking ability I do have is in a good state of repair. I wasn't too confident on that last ride so new pads were purchased at REI. Cheaper than a rental or a disk brake conversion which I don't even think is an option on our bikes.


Now, let's talk about dinner...






Anyone who watches the food network probably does so with a certain amount of detachment. I used to watch it solely for entertainment purposes. Jack watches it for education and challenges. Dude, these are world class chefs and these meals are probably taking hours if not days to properly prepare and they make it look like it takes 30 minutes. This does not deter Jack. I wish I had more interest in the process. I'd love to appreciate the art that is cooking. However, I do not. I appreciate the final product. I'm a results kind of guy. So, when the final product was pulled from the oven, I was interested...and really hungry. I thought to myself, what an odd looking lump of beige stuff. Since I was building caverns, reading books, putting together puzzles and helping with pattern recognition games, ordering imaginary groceries and eating them, I totally missed the process by which Jack put this little treat together. So when I took the first bite, I was unprepared for the complexity of the sensation. Taste doesn't really do justice to the experience. Imagine the grand finale of the fireworks show in DC... That's sort of what went through my mind during the first bite...and each consecutive bike after, of which, there were many. :)

(massive run on sentence in 3...2...)

When I describe to people who've never been there, the experience of walking up to the Grand Canyon for the first time, I tell them that it doesn't even seem real because most people's brains have never had to try to comprehend something of that scale so the magnitude of the vision before them is truly difficult to sort into something that can be compared to something they are familiar with. This is also how I would describe last night's dinner. There was an amazing piece of meat but it was accompanied by so many other things that I wasn't expecting as well. There was a Portabella puree paste thing then prosciutto then some mustard and it was all wrapped in a puff pastry. I don't even know what a puff pastry is but it's now among my favorite things ever. It looks something like this, only better...



Kim and I are still talking about it and more importantly, how we're going to heat up the leftovers for lunch. :)

When we got here, I was down 14 lbs since we started our trip. That is no longer the case. :( I need to get out of this town but it's oh so tasty here. :)

No comments: