Tuesday, August 17, 2010

August 17...Liberty Lake

(Kim’s Perspective)
All four of us slept like roadkill last night so we were able to sleep till almost 8. I got up before the dogs did (wooohoooo!), went outside to check for bears and then let them out for their morning routine. It’s so nice to not be encumbered with dog leashes. For those of you who don’t know – Merlin and Twist are herding dogs. Herding dogs, leashes, and potty time can make for an interesting adventure. Go ahead - try to pick up poo while holding two leashes with herding dogs intent on sniffing everything around you. Let me know how that works out.

I made the Boys breakfast, made us some coffee and took the laptop outside to select and compress the pics for uploading to the blog.




The Boys were content to investigate all the smells and then decided to dig in the dirt like a bunch of wild fiends. Given that Merlin is such a prima donna, it’s hysterical to watch him dig as if he’s possessed by some maniacal, ground burrowing critter.



While he may be getting in touch with his wild side, he’s still a sissy that requires his sleeping pad to be comfy. :)


Check out was at 1pm so around noon we started to pack up and got ready to head out.

We drove out the same way we drove in…on that super twisty, winding road around the lake. We decided that we would head to Liberty Lake Regional/Community Park first so we could get a spot (first come, first served) and not have to worry about finding another RV friendly campground in the area. The weather was warm - in the 90s– the hottest temps we’ve seen since our day trip to Twin Falls a couple weeks ago. These temps definitely require a site with electric – which is slightly hard to come by in these parts. The campground is close to our friends’ house, so it will be very convenient for visiting with them.

We arrived around 3pm or so, found a spot, set up, and then decided to check out the state campground (Riverside) about 40 minutes northwest of Spokane. We left the Boys in the trailer and headed to the first of the two campgrounds. The first campground was nice but full, and the second was a complete hole. No thanks. We were shocked at the camping fees too. The electric and water sites were thirty couple bucks a pop. That’s kind of insane for a state park. The Liberty Lake place is only $24 – which is what most electric/water sites go for in the state parks.

We headed back with new found appreciation for the apparent bargain we were getting at the local park. Wooohoooo….I love a bargain.

The drive back seemed to take forever. We hit rush hour traffic along I-90 and didn’t get back to the campground till 5:30/6ish. We took the Boys for a quick walk and then made dinner. We hadn’t eaten lunch so we were starving. Burritos. Yum.

Jack-O called us and we chatted for a bit. We made plans to stop over after I was done taking a much needed shower. We got to their place around 8:30 or so. Silly Moose* was already in bed, but Silly Goose* was up (way past her bedtime) so we could meet her.

*Code names used to protect their identity. ;)

I called it. Precocious, witty, and adorable. And too cute. We were also happy to see Athena doing well. Trish told us the horror story of her recent knee surgery and how bad a time she was having with the pain and not being able to get around. Fortunately, (or unfortunately when you’re trying to keep a nearly 100 pound Rottweiler calm) she has experienced vast improvement over the past few days and was happy to see us. Awwwww…. She’d probably be happy to see any ole’ person who walks through the door, but I choose to believe she remembered us and was happy to see us again. Anthropomorphizing again no doubt. Whatever. She ate my biscuits – that made me happy. ;)

We caught up and chit-chatted for several hours and didn’t leave till midnight. We headed back to the campground to find the gate closed. Uhhh.... Luckily, it wasn’t locked. Jerks. Whatcha’ do that for?!?!

I went through all the mail that Cheryl had shipped out here and then updated the blog with some pictures. I’m still having problems with updating the blog from the 13th. I have so many pics in that particular folder that it’s difficult to get them to load so I can select which ones I want to post. That already seems like forever ago though so I might not bother.

Even though I wasn’t up to date with the blog, I decided to turn in and try to get some sleep. Night owl I am, but staying up till 2am to blog is a little bit ridiculous.

No comments: