We didn't leave the campground today. We slept like crap last night. We went to bed around 10:30 and then Merlin had Bill up at midnight to go outside. I slept through that one, but didn't sleep through the 4am outing. Bill was kind enough to deal with that one too. It took us a long time to go back to sleep and then there he was, scratching on the door at 7 am. My turn. He didn't really NEED to go out, he just wanted to see what there was to see. Bad dog. We came back in, tried for some more sleep and didn't get out of bed till nearly 10am. Oh well. Too cold to be out before 9 anyway. We found out from the campground host that it was 32 degrees this morning. Yeah.
We had some annoying tasks to perform such as rotating the trailer tires as well as cleaning up and reorganizing the storage area, so we just did what needed to be done and then I spent a ridiculous amount of time updating the blog. It's a catch 22. I want to keep it updated so Bill and I can use it to help us remember our trip once we get home, but man is it a pain in the butt to keep up with. Compressing and uploading all the pics takes forever. Eh, I'm sure I'll be happy that I managed to stick with it once we get back. I still enjoy reading our motorcycle trip reports from years past.
The dogs did get out a bit to stretch their legs - courtesy of Bill jumping on the mountain bike to run them a bit. The campground is mostly empty so we broke the rules and let them run off lead - like everyone else around here does. I know, I know, that doesn't make it right... :)
The campground host, Karma Bergquist, rocks. We've been spending a good bit of time talking to her. We mentioned that our battery is shot and it didn't get recharged as much as we thought when we took the trailer out yesterday to dump the tanks (that wasn't really worth mentioning on yesterday's blog). Anyway, she offered up her generator for a couple hours and refused to take any money for it. She's really awesome. I need to be sure to leave her a tract when we go.
We took the dogs for an evening stroll through the campground and were accosted by a group of teenage girls who wanted to dote all over the dogs. We spent about 20 minutes chatting with them and their parents about the dogs, our trip, our lack of employment, blah, blah, blah.
The question of "what do you do for a living that allows you to have the summer off?" comes up frequently. We smile, tell people we quit our jobs and are taking pre-retirement. I don't think there's been a single person that hasn't said "Good for you, I wish I had done that". And that's exactly what one of the older gentlemen said.
I must admit, there are times that I think about the fact that we're blowing our savings - but I just don't care. I don't like the reason I have the opportunity to do this trip, but I am grateful for it regardless - I can't after all, change the reason for it, and I know that Mom would be thrilled that we could go and travel the country like I've talked about doing for as long as I can remember.
Bill and I talk about Mom all the time and though I have my little breakdowns at times and miss her terribly, I'm doing this just as much for her as for us. In my own way, it's a tribute to her and to the incredible, selfless person that she was. I still feel very lucky to have had such an amazing mother, even if it was for too short a time.
2 comments:
Eric sent me your blog - read it all.
Looks like you are having a time of it - you are missing nothing at home.
Keep rolling - I might catch you in the west someplace.
She was an amazing Mom. I was rifiling through drawers this morning and I said outloud for the whole office to hear..."I miss Marie". I miss her too, maybe i=not in the same way but I miss her everyday. She would be proud. You go, you live, you enjoy and don't worry for the future! Live, love and laugh, alot!
Post a Comment