Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September 1...Mt. Rainier National Park (Day 2)

(Kim's Perspective)

We headed towards the park today to get the lay of the land and get a glimpse of Rainier. Fail. The mountain was having no part of being seen.

There were some amusing things to see prior to getting into the NP. First, was the sign reminding us that at any given moment, we could be torched by lava, crushed by flying boulders, asphyxiated by toxic fumes, or drowned by a lahar. Hey - this place is fun.


The second sign was hysterical, but in order to appreciate it, you have to understand the lay of the land. The road leading to the park passed by this church. Within the park, the visitor center and other touristy things are located at a place called Paradise, so...



Ha ha ha hahah. Witty Baptists. I love it. :P

We went to the visitor center and spent a fair amount of time there reading about the mountain and the flora and fauna.

We drove throughout the park and did the obligatory pullouts even though there was little to be seen. Well, that’s not true. There were lots of cool things to see, just not Rainier.







At one pulloff, you can see the remnants of a recent mudslide. Walking by it gave me the heebie jeebies. I was just waiting for the rest of it to come down on my head.




We haven’t seen it yet, but I’m pretty certain Mt. Rainier is going to be amazing. I just have a feeling that this NP
!!!!!

We headed back to the trailer and took the Boys for a walk, had soup for dinner, and then watched some SG1 before heading to bed. A pretty low key day, but I’m still recovering and overdid it the last couple of days so low key will be in my immediate future. Don’t count on any exciting blog reports for awhile. SIGH.

No comments: