We discussed attending church this morning, but I was unable to find a website or any information on the Baptist church in town. I joked with Bill that I didn’t want to go to a church and walk in to find out they’re handling snakes or something freaky like that. I’ll stick with the Sword of the Lord’s Baptist church recommendations thank you very much. We decided that we’d start downloading sermons from Lancaster Baptist Church’s website - 2.5 weeks is too long to be without some good Bible preaching.
We had coffee and toast for breakfast and took the Boys out for their morning potty. We put on our gear, Bill lubed the chains, and off we went to check out some of the sights.
We first rode to Register Rock.
It was pretty cool to see the area where the pioneers camped on their way to Oregon and California and where they had inscribed their names in the rock.
Oregon Trail Memorial Shadow Picture. :)
We then rode 4 miles out of our way on a gravel road thinking it must lead to the Oregon Trail ruts. FAIL.
We doubled back, went back through the state park entrance gate and made our way to the Trail per the park map.
Again, pretty cool. It’s humbling to think what a whiner I am (“Ow, the sun is really burning my arms!”) and what these poor people had to endure.
We rode a trail back to the campground…or attempted to ride it in some areas…

and relaxed in our lounge chairs while sipping iced tea under the awning. We rode about 12 miles. Not far, but not a bad start to get back into it. I’m still taking it easy on my knee – though it’s doing surprisingly well. Regardless, it’s been a long, long time since we’ve done 60 mile road days or 30 mile trail days. I still prefer my bike with the 1200cc motor. :)
Once it got too hot to sit outside any longer, we came in and enjoyed the AC. I updated the blog and Bill relaxed on the bed with his Kindle. We had an early dinner of spaghetti and mixed vegetables, took much needed showers, and settled down with our Kindle's by the campfire. The moon was full and cast an incredible amount of light across the campground, the surrounding cliffs and the river. The breeze was welcoming and it was so peaceful and relaxing – until a mouse decided to scurry through one of the holes in the fire ring and cook itself in front of me. No longer a happy camper. I cried. Yeah, I know. It was clearly a stupid mouse for walking into a fire pit while a fire raged, but even still, I was upset that my campfire killed the poor little guy. I’m a sap, but I can’t help it. I hate to see things suffer and the poor little thing squeaked and panicked before it fell over and succumbed to an untimely death. It was very sad. Like I said, I’m a sap.
Anyway, aside from the mouse incident, it was a really good day.
2 comments:
Test Comment 2
Test Comment - GMAIL USER
Post a Comment