We left Maumee Bay on Thursday (July 8) around noon and headed on to the next destination – Wilderness State Park near Mackinac Bridge. It’s near the middle finger of the Michigan mitten. I was firmly nested in the passenger seat with my trusty map and campground guide, the camera, and my can of Pringles at my side - yes, non-organic Pringles are my road-trip chip of choice. The OCD side of me and my need for order beats out my icky, non-organic food aversion; after all, what other chip comes packed in such a neat manner and in such a small, efficient space?? :)
Anyway, as we were 15 minutes from our next stop, I read about Tahquamenon Falls State Park and when I read about the moose, bear, and wolves that inhabit the park, we “RECALCULATED” and crossed the Mighty Mac and headed into the U.P. The bridge was pretty cool. It has some impressive statistics…Google it if you’re so inclined.
Once we crossed into the U.P., the landscape changed and we were surrounded by beautiful stands of white birch (my favorite) and tall stately pines. Needless to say, I took many pictures along the way. We encountered a bit of a brief, passing storm, but we were out of the rain in a matter of minutes. We arrived at the park around 8 pm and checked out the campground. The sites were pretty close together, but after a few investigative trips through the loops, we decided on site #17 – a nice site just steps away from a trailhead and lake access. We unhitched and were set up within a half an hour.
Nightfall comes later in these parts – it was 10:17pm and still light out. Dinner was brown rice, baby bella mushrooms, and green house tomatoes with basil. The sky was a beautiful, almost iridescent blue. We walked the Boys awhile and then took a Pup-free stroll to look at the stars. It was late before we went to bed. I’m used to going to bed a few hours after it gets dark. A few hours after it gets dark there means 1:30 am. Fine by me. I’m a night owl. Hoot hoot. :)
(Bill's Perspective...)
BRRRRR....I'm sitting in my lounge chair outside the camper at Tahquamenon Falls State Park in the UP of Michigan. I'm wearing long pants and a long sleeve shirt and I am perfectly comfortable. Once again we have cell signal but not enough to use the laptop (tethering) but enough to post text using the phone. This campground is the most crowded of the ones we stayed at but the weather makes it worth it. There are only a few bugs compared to what i've heard and apparently last year they were very bad. We are spending 2 nights here as there are supposed to be wolves and bears and many cool birds in the area...and moose as well. We're taking tons of pictures but can't post them yet. Once we can there will be much to share with you.
Were off to explore and see what there is to see. It's supposed to the sunny and beautiful today with a high of 73. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment