...will update later. It's late, I'm tired, and we have a big day planned tomorrow. It's AWESOME here. We're going to stay awhile. Probably four nights. Maybe a week, who knows. :)
(Bill's perspective - day 1 of 4)
This place rocks. We are right on the snake river. We can see no other campers from our site. There is always a breeze and what bugs they do have here politely get out of your way when you walk by. The only mosquito I've seen here was a hitchhiker from the other joint and he met his destiny in the form of a paper towel. We are surrounded by rocks, junipers and sage. The sites all have water and electric and they're relatively cheap. We've already extended through the weekend. The trails welcome mountain bikers and I was told by the camp hosts that they are encouraged. Sandy and hilly won't make for the best time but it will be good exercise. :) We are also right near a place called Register Rock and the Oregon Trail ruts. Though not a history buff per se, I've taken a LOT of history classes and much of this stuff just resides somewhere in the archives of my brain. I look forward to standing where the first settlers drove their wagons across this area laying the foundation for this amazing land we call home. While I can do without the geological interpretations of the formation of the riverbed, I will happily check out where original Oregon Trail travelers carved their names and the date into local rocks. :) This will be a good park despite it's name. Check it out at http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/massacrerocks.aspx
Today we go to a local town to stock up on supplies then we hike some of the trails to get the lay of the land. Oh, and check the weather for American Falls, ID. :) While the numbers look high, that's probably in town and when you're right on the water with a stiff breeze, hot is relative. And at night, it's down right chilly. :) The next couple days will be spent exploring, mt biking the trails, renting a tandem kayak to play on the river and probably chatting with really cool old people cuz that's what we do.
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
comment test
Post a Comment