Thursday, August 20, 2015

Onward to Jericho Mountain State Park...August 20 - Day 2

(Kim's Perspective)
Tolerable temperatures or not, I didn't sleep well and garnered about 2.5 hours of sleep for the night.  We had the alarm set for 6 but I was awake at 4:30 so l stayed in bed to allow Bill to get some more sleep. By 5:30, I couldn't stand it anymore and just got up.  By 6:30, we were heading out of the campground after unloading 3 months worth of recycling in their bins (no really, recycling isn't available when you live in the sticks).  The sun was burning the fog off and made for a pretty, early morning drive.

We took 80 west to 209 north to 84 east.  We crossed into New York by 8 am and were on 87 north a little after 8:30.

Outside of Albany, we took route 7 east and crossed into Vermont.


After a brief stop at Wal-Mart near Bennington to pick up some batteries and gas cans (oops, forgot to pack the gas cans, too!), we quickly sucked down some lunch in the parking lot...



...and were back on the road and heading east on 9 through the Green Mountain National Forest.  We jumped on 91 north and crossed into New Hampshire.

We took 91 to 93 east to 18 north to 2 east and headed to Jericho Mountain State Park just north of Berlin (pronounced Burr-lin - accent on the first syllable - gotta get it right!) on route 110.  The ride was uneventful and we saw some cute little towns and interesting sights along the way.






We arrived around 4:45, registered, and chatted with Allen (the park employee on duty) about the campground, the trail system...and the generator hours.  :)

After getting all of our questions answered, we drove to the campground to locate our sites and set up camp.
Having recently encountered a slight issue with a family of mice that so graciously chose our camper to live in, I found one of the little stowaways shortly after having set up.  I literally laughed out loud.  Seriously?  The traps were empty when we left (after having caught FIVE of them over the last few days) so this little dude traveled - and by that I mean bumped, jostled, bucked, and swayed down the road - over 700 miles.  I felt bad and vindicated all at once.  :) 
Reduced, blurry photo in consideration of the squeamish.
We walked back to the visitor center to get a trail map for tomorrow and then down to the beach to check out the lake.  Shele and I played on the swings for a bit and then we all headed back to the campsite, had dinner, and chilled (literally!) around the fire.  Allen stopped by to get our signature on a form he neglected to collect earlier and we chatted with him a bit.  After some additional fireside chillin', we said goodnight, turned in around 10, and set our alarm for 6am.  We've got riding to do!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty drive! I love road trips. ��