I woke up at 6:00 on the dot and finally rolled out of bed at 6:30. I started packing and prepping for departure and Bill started on breakfast. The Sitts joined us and we indulged in some "blueberry heaven" pancakes. Yum.

We said goodbye to Jericho Mountain State Park and were on the road as planned by 9 am. We headed down 110 to 16 to 2 east. We crossed into Maine at 9:45 but I missed the state line road sign. Grrr. Route 2 was slow going. Every 20 miles or so there were towns along the way which meant that the speed limit dropped from 55 down to 25 in most places; it was still so much better than being on 95 with all the nut jobs. We were even happier to be on the back roads when it started raining for a bit. It takes longer on the back roads, but you miss out on too much when you're slabbing it on the highway. The highway does not represent America - it's just a way to quickly get from point A to point B - but winding your way through quaint little towns allows you to actually experience a bit of Americana. It's all about the journey and I ALWAYS find something worthwhile to see along the way.
We eventually got to the park around 2:30, checked in, set up the trailer, and then unloaded the bikes. The site kind of sucked so Bill and I jumped on one of the bikes and rode to the park office to see if there were any other sites available. No joy.
We wanted to take advantage of the lack of rain so we all climbed into the truck and rode over to Bass Harbor Lighthouse.
After playing around at the lighthouse for a while, we went into Southwest Harbor for dinner. We asked a local for a recommendation and he told us to try the Quiet Side Cafe. We weren't looking for an expensive or elaborate meal but we ended up spending 72 bucks for the four of us. Yikes. This is one of the many reasons it's great to have a camper. If you don't want to spend a ton of money eating out, you eat in just like you would at home for a fraction of the cost.
After dinner we got back into the truck and I checked my voice mail to find a message from a recruiter trying to fill a position I recently applied for. Of course I would be called while on vacation. I jotted down her number and we headed back to the campground. It was still light when we got there so we took a little walk around the campground and let Lane out for a while. He walked around on his leash a bit and then headed back to the safe confines of his camper. Cat guilt eliminated. We chatted with the Sitts for a while before we turned in at 8:30. An early night indeed but with rain, fog, and relentless mosquitoes, there wasn't much motivation to stay out for long.
No comments:
Post a Comment