Monday, August 31, 2015

Log cabin getaway - AKA home...August 31 - Day 13

(Kim's Perspective)
Having spent the last 17 out of 18 wedding anniversaries traveling the country, I was somewhat disappointed that we would be home to celebrate our 19th. However, as I previously mentioned, we absolutely love our new "vacation home" and we ended up having a great day regardless of the fact that we weren't off gallivanting across the CONUS. ;-) I should also mention that we were looking forward to getting the gifts that we had planned on purchasing for each other. Normally, vacation IS the gift but since this year's vacation was somewhat close to home, we decided to apply part of our vacation budget to some fun new toys.

So....we departed mid-morning and headed to the local gun shop. Yeeehaaaa! Since we spent several hours in the store two weeks prior, we knew exactly what we wanted so it wasn’t long before we walked out with our new purchases. A Ruger SR9c for me and a Springfield XD-9 for Bill.

We swung by an outdoor store and picked up some ammo and other miscellaneous items and then swung by a Peruvian chicken joint for our first-class, gourmet anniversary dinner. Ha!

Having just dropped over a grand on handguns, it seemed prudent to go cheap on the dinner. Besides, we knew it would be tasty and that’s all we really care about. I’ve said it before, but I really hate spending a lot of money on mediocre meals. Give me ½ a Peruvian chicken with a side of yucca and plantains for 9 bucks and I am a happy (and oh-so-frugal) camper.

After our late lunch, we returned home and set about gathering up our targets and ammo and made our way down to our “range”. While it’s not exactly high tech or aesthetically pleasing, it does in fact get the job done and provides a great, safe area to throw some lead. We didn’t purchase nearly enough ammo – it’s really easy to blow through it quick with a 17 round magazine (take that, Maryland!) – but we were at least able to get a feel for our new handguns.

Why yes, we do support the 2nd Amendment and are more than equipped for defending ourselves against an intruder with ill intentions.  Assuming someone is stupid enough to come around these here parts.  ;D



Hmmmm...."compact", huh?  I need a new purse.  :)

We took the annual finger tradition photo (well, THAT doesn’t sound very nice) with our "oh, look, we just made him an angel" buddy.  Get it?  HAHAHA!  While not doctrinally true, funny nonetheless. 

The rest of the evening was spent together enjoying some "porch time" (which is quickly becoming a daily tradition in its own right). It was a pretty good day. I must admit – I’ve already started saving for our 20th and am anxious for us to be somewhere amazing while we hold up the "2-0". Until then, we'll regularly read the blog and smile when we think of all of our awesome adventures over the years.  I'm proud of the fact that we've managed to stay together these 19 years.  No marriage lasts without a considerable amount of effort and dedication - and ours certainly has required an extensive amount of both!  But ups and downs are part of any good roller coaster ride so I'll continue to look forward to seeing where the next 19 years will lead us.  I wonder how many entries I'll have in the blog by then?  :D

No comments: