Sunday, September 2, 2012

CONUS Conquered...September 2, 2012...Day 4

(Kim's Perspective)

We were trying to figure out what we wanted to do today based on the weather forecast.  It was forecasted to be rainy with thunderstorms most of the day, but we looked at the radar and decided to risk it.
We loaded the bikes into the truck and headed to Trace State Park. 
We arrived at noon and got onto the trail at 12:30. We rode till 2:15 or so and stopped to take a break.
We hydrated ourselves and snacked on fig bars and dried mango.  Bill was having a blast and was as happy as a kid in a candy store.
After we were sufficiently rested, we got back on the bikes around 2:45.  We jumped onto some singletrack and I realized that my arms were toast.  I was shocked at how much of a work out it was and how tired my upper body was.  Tired in a kick-butt awesome kind of way.  We stopped for a photo opportunity...
and then went back to the trail we had previously ridden since it was wide doubletrack.  A couple miles in I realized I was too tired to maneuver the bike through the ruts and whoops without either dropping the bike or launching myself from it.  Knowing when to call it quits - generally, before you're bleeding and broken on the side of the trail, we turned around and Bill continued on another trail while I zipped back to the truck.  When he got back, he informed me of his near drop.  I reminded him again of his “near crashes” and told him it didn't happen unless someone witnessed it or there were pictures.  ;)  Did I mention I had a tip over on the trail?  No?  Well, I won’t bore you with it.  ;)
We loaded the bikes up and headed back to Tishomingo in the rain.  During the drive, we heard a local weather forecast and learned that Tishomingo county and a bazillion other counties in MS, AL, and TN were under tornado warnings.  Oh joy!  We got back to the trailer as the rain let up slightly (excellent timing as we had to let the Boys out to potty) and Bill made Kimchi Burgers for dinner.  NOM!  They are AMAZING and will need to become part of our regular rotation.  I turned the radio on so we could stay tuned to the weather updates and we sat through several hours of some of the hardest rain we have ever encountered.  A local later told us it rained 3.5 inches.  Rain POURED down the outside of the trailer so heavy and fast that we couldn't see out the windows at all.  I had prepared an emergency bag in case we had to make a mad dash to the truck with the critters, but no such emergency ensued and we were thus quite pleased that my efforts were in vain.  In fact, we stayed nice and dry in the trailer and we were extremely grateful that we weren't tent camping.  
A very fun, entertaining, wet, and slightly scary day.  Which of course just makes for some good memories and story telling.  :)

No comments: